View Single Post
Old 12-06-19, 08:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking
Well, I see you found a nice steel bike, although you had to go to Europe for it from a little known company. I think I meant that walking into a normal American bicycle store, all you see are carbon and aluminum bikes. It seems impossible to find a steel road bike that is equal to, say, a Specialized Roubaix. For that, you need to find a small, non-mainstream company.

Which is what you did. However, the only “advantage” Fairlight has over Waterford is that its bikes are in set dimensions rather than custom. Fairlight wouldn’t work for me because I need a size 63cm bike. With Waterford, a person can deal with a local shop, which will then work with Waterford, an American company, who will then build him a custom steel bike, with a steel fork if he wants (I do).

Also with Waterford, I like being able to call them up at any time to talk to them about my bike. There is always a person there to answer the phone, something Fairlight apparently doesn’t have.

I don’t want to say that Waterford is better than Fairlight; I’m sure the latter builds as high a quality bike as the former. What I want to say is that one needs to go far afield to find a high quality steel frame, and that might mean going custom.

Back to my original reply to this thread about whether a person needs a custom bike: Sometimes he needs custom, not for any particular size, but because the dominant American market isn’t able or willing to supply the type of bike he wants.
Oh, totally agreed that overall, shops dont stock high quality steel road bikes. It isnt in demand, so they dont stock em.
Since you mention needing a 63cm frame, the 61T size has a stack height of 639mm, so it's basically the same as a level top tube 64cm frame with 405mm of reach.

I dont really consider buying this bike as having to 'go to Europe', but do understand your overall point.
Quality domesticly available production bikes would include the AllCity ZigZag, Black Mountain Cycles road, Kona Roadhouse, Ritchey road, and more. But as you mention- they arent sitting in shops built and ready to ride.
...but neither are Waterford...and those cost gobs more. Even Gunnar costs gobs more.
Not sure why you couldn't call fairlight if you want- they have telephones in England. I chose to email with the owners probably a dozen times and they were prompt in response.

Agreed that the domestic production market may not be able to readily provide what a consumer wants. It's a good reason to go custom then.