View Single Post
Old 03-13-09, 09:35 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I only do this once in a while but how many of you use the "bit off more than I can chew commuter rail option" for your rides outside of Boston?

I've grabbed trains in Attleboro when I knew I left too late to make it home by dark. Same thing on the Framingham/Worcester line. And even on my most recent outing I had to make a quick detour back to Boston for an obligation I'd forgotten (my wife drove me back) but then to continue my trip cycled a quick 10 miles to the train station and grabbed the commuter train to Providence and pretty much picked up where I'd left off.

I feel "oh so European" when I do this. It also works if you want to get a jump on traffic on a long ride- take the train to Worcester, for example, as a start for a cross Mass. ride or up to NH or VT.

I had a late start on my long ride from Providence (1:15). I was reassured once I got to Franklin and much of the rest of my ride paralleled the commuter train so it gave me the option to ride to the next town at any time and just hop on the train.