Old 03-27-09, 08:44 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenword
I haven't done an impromptu bail to a commuter rail per se, but I did do one ride to Holliston on my Trek to visit ANT and talk to Mike about building up a bike, then took the commuter rail back from Framingham because I had to be home in time for a dinner party.

I've also ridden the commuter rail out to Springfield to do a 400k in Westfield, then took the train back home; and also the girl and I planned a weekend around taking the North Shore bike train up to Rockport, overnight with some friends, then do a Tour De Cure century around Cape Ann and Essex County then ride back to Boston. That was a nice little weekend; and travelling by train has always been generally pleasant (if not always punctual)

Great idea to grab the train to Springfield! Where did you get off and on to do that? I've been getting the notices of the Westfield brevets after doing the D2 R2 last summer but am philosophically challenged to driving a car to a bike ride so I haven't headed out to do any. I have a place in Western MA and when I'm out there I hope to join in on at least one of their rides. Especially since one of them goes only a few miles from my home.

In the meantime my rides are out here. My hope is to do the ride back from my Western MA place next weekend, which is just over 200k (136 miles). The hills and wind are in my favor on the way back to Newton so it's a better first long ride of the year for me than the reverse.

edit: I see that is an Amtrak train- the "Lake Shore Limited". How accommodating was that train to a cyclist? Did you need to box your bike? If that train is "bike friendly" that could be great for me.

Last edited by buzzman; 03-27-09 at 08:54 PM.