Old 06-19-19, 10:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
UPDATE: I moved the Boulevard back as far as it would go and tipped the nose down as far as it would go and it is a little better. Now that the nose is down I may nudge it forward just a little.

I have a smoother gel saddle coming (older Trek) so we will see if that makes a difference. When you're a big guy (or gal) the struggle is real!
The thing to remember is that you don’t break in a saddle. You adapt to it. That goes for all saddles but doubly so for plastic ones. The plastic shell doesn’t change no matter how much you ride on it. You just get used to it or not. Even with leather saddles, it’s more a case of you get used to the way it feels. And that is independent of what your body type is.

I would caution against riding too much with the saddle nose tilted down as far as it will go. All that does is force you to constantly push back on the saddle. It will put a lot of stress on your arms and hands. In the long run, it’s not good for you.

I would also caution against a saddle that is too squishy. You found that when you tried adding a thicker saddle. Your saddle may be too high or, more likely, you are “sitting” on the saddle while you ride. A bicycle saddle is called that because that’s what it is. A saddle is supposed to support you but it isn’t a “seat”. Learn to ride while hovering over the saddle rather then making it take all of your weight. That goes a long way towards saddle comfort.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!