View Single Post
Old 12-25-19, 09:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Marci
Something that I saw on line may help with feeling a bit safer. My friends did a road ride last year and to feel safer and increase visibility they took pool noodles and tied them on the back of the bike so they stuck out about 2 feet into traffic. They said it did help with people driving too close.

I ride after dark in the winter and I find the battery operated Christmas lights are great, people slow down and then are thrilled with the light show. I get many who roll down the window and say cool bike as they go by. I even put a wreath on the front and a big sparkly bow on the back this Christmas. This year I also got bike lights that go on the wheels, they look amazing and people love them. But I will be getting rechargeable batteries. LOL

While there will always be the idiots on the road that just are plain old dicks about bikes, thankfully they are few and far between.
FYA/FYI I have posted about pool noodles on a few threads, most comprehensively on this one, replete with quotes, mostly cons, with additional following posts on that thread.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"All hail the [pool] noodle"

I first read about a pool noodle on a thread from 2016, and commented later: I was surprised by all the worries about antagonizing drivers with a pool noodle, I just never thought of that concern in my travels here in civilized metro Boston.

There is also a current thread on the Touring Forum about pool noodles, "Why every cyclist needs a pool noodle on roads"That rant by @zweitesmal garnered four LIKES.

I guess the reason I never got one is that my safety practices (link) are more effective, and for the dork factor, though I still might try, even just for my commutes.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-25-19 at 10:30 AM.