View Single Post
Old 01-15-20, 01:27 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
On the roads I regularly ride, there's one memorial for a dead cyclist and at least 10 for dead auto drivers. I know it's not a valid comparison but it makes me feel better about my chances nonetheless.
It shouldn't (make you feel any better). A 10:1 differential in the number of memorials doesn't come close to the true magnitude of difference. There should be NO memorial for a dead cyclist if there are only 10 for auto drivers. Why do we need to play mental games with ourselves to justify practical life choices? People think nothing of taking trips to the Middle East but they balk at riding in traffic. My earlier post was as much to say that even though cycling IS impacted by the number of distracted drivers on the road, a cyclist need not approach their commute with a sense of fatalism! There are steps the savvy cyclist can take to reduce the odds of being hit. When these steps are taken consistently, cycling need not be anymore dangerous than ... driving. Most people don't consider driving an especially hazardous activity.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 01-15-20 at 02:13 PM.