BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
@BigAura - Context.
The phrase "minimalist" is being used in both your contexts correctly. However, the context in and of itself is what varies.
That is precisely why I stated the below in a prior post:
So neither of you are incorrect. You are both perfectly correct. You're context, however, is, somewhat, opposite each other.
So, to your point, BigAura - in only the context from which you speak, cycling (and I'll throw in here backpacking also - like the gram-weenies that have tiny packs for multi-day trips) - the idea of a coroplast camper behind a bike does not classify your idea of "minimalist". However, from the perspective of living in a house or an apartment - down-sizing to a bicycle and a bicycle-camper is very much "minimalist". Context. You have to understand the overall umbrella of the context to understand that point. That is where audiences that are tuned in to a specific niche, where they only see what is under their umbrella, have a hard time seeing under another umbrella - until they open their viewpoints to allow themselves to look under other umbrellas.
Your point context-is-everything is true. BUT the CONTEXT here IS bicycle-touring not RV camping nor backpacking.

The fact that a rocket can do a US-coast-to-coast trip in less than an 40 minutes is NOT RELAVENT to this site IMO.

PERSONALLY: I have interests outside of touring, some of which are considered mainstream and others that are more esoteric. But I enjoy the BikeForums site BECAUSE of it's focus on particular sub-forums of cycling that I FIND appealing. I agree there is a bubble-aspect to it, but that doesn't limit me --> the UNVERSISE is large (in CONTEXT) as comapred to the the size of the MILKY WAY