View Single Post
Old 07-10-20, 10:25 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Hambini does thrash most everyone. I do like to listen to what he says, but also look for corroboration with other sources. I also know quality measure is based on multiple random samples over time, not on highlighting a single worst example that bubbled up to the critic. Still. I am surprised the BB is so far out of spec on this one. Just about every reputable manufacturer will replace a frame if a dealer measures and documents an out of spec BB milling and this one should have been easy to document. I have emailed Open on three occasions and have had quick responses from either Kessler or Vroomen directly in each case. Possibly this was a used frame, or even a counterfeit with that wacky paint job! I have no idea how he detects voids, how reliable his method is, or what is considered normal or acceptable for voids. I ride an Open and have had no trouble at all with it and I know several other Open owners with no problems. I also see several top brands with numerous warranty issues as comparison. No good scientific evaluation can be based on a single sample or without broader sampling to determine frequency of defects. And ALL manufacturers do have defects...

Last edited by dwmckee; 07-10-20 at 10:34 PM.
Likes For dwmckee: