Thread: C&V under 40
View Single Post
Old 11-19-18, 01:49 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
I'm 28 and I've had a thing for the "oldies" ever since my first Peugeot U08 back in undergrad. The design and craftsmanship of this era of bikes (not to mention the paint colours!) are such a big part of my enjoyment of this hobby. The bikes have their own stories, too. My Voyageur was ridden by my uncle across the country, and now I've brought it out of storage after 20 years and returned it to top condition, ready for touring in this region and perhaps one day internationally as well.
With a cheap to run commuter bike like my Norco, some of the enjoyment that I get from riding and maintaining the Schwinn is not there, but since I commute through winter I'd rather the Norco take the brunt. As soon as the snow melts, the Voyageur takes the top job and the fun starts again. For my third bike I think I'd like to find a classic English three speed. Something about tearing down one of those hubs and making it run as new appeals to me...