View Single Post
Old 12-08-19, 08:06 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
One month (almost) later update: All the details and payments are pretty much settled with the insurance company. The contents loss reimbursement (check mailed, I should see it in the next day or two) was quite good, they accepted everything I've claimed and the depreciation was less than I was expecting. Contract signed with a construction company for the rebuild. The builders are hoping to have the house damage repaired by Christmas, little things like replacement windows are on order. Construction of the new garage isn't going to happen before January, hopefully I'll be finishing the inside by early March. There will be a slight glitch in what needs to be done due to a previous owner of the house being a die-hard do-it-yourselfer with no concept of building codes whatsoever, so I'm going to have to have a water heater moved in the process.

Been hitting the Christmas sales to start picking up the replacement hand tools, got most of the basics stored away.

The most important news is that I've got a temporary replacement workshop functioning again. I'd lost electric power to the other three sheds on the property because they were tapped in thru the original garage. Thru the joys of a long heavy duty extension cord, and a dreaded dual male adaptor (yes, I can hear the comments already, I know what I'm doing here, honest) I've got a power line temporarily tapped in thru one of the outside receptacles. My small shed is a combination lawn and garden storage and woodworking shop with a small work table. Now that I've got lights and power available when I need to use it (it's unplugged otherwise), I at least have enough of a shop, and a small tool box consisting of castoffs from the former main toolboxes to enable me to at least do maintenance and repairs to the bikes currently on the road.

It's a start.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker: