View Single Post
Old 12-09-19, 01:25 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Finished scrambling my workspace together today, glad I could put something together because I've had to fabricate a few things for putting up the outdoor Christmas lights this week seeing that the backside of the old display no longer exists. And I've got enough of a jury rigged setup that puts me back where I was fifteen years ago when I started wrenching bicycles again. Pitiful, but functional. Hey, it worked when I was putting that first Raleigh Gran Sport back on the road in '04.

In the interim, of course, I've started designing out the new shop, with the advantage that I'm going to be starting from scratch and not putting together an on-again/off-again collection of tools and equipment that I've used over the past three shops. Finally a bead blasting cabinet, 44" large tool box that'll have everything in one organized place, the workbench built into the wall at whatever size I decide I'm going to need, compressor on the other side of the building with air lines built in along the wall with multiple outlets (I'm getting a lot of inspiration from having helped my motorcycle mechanic move his business last year).

Big thing I'm mulling over in my mind right now is the repair stand. Park, of course, and yeah I'd love to end up with a PRS-3.2 but given that I'm not going to be doing anything resembling the level of work I used to do in Montpelier, I'm thinking a PCS-10.2 would probably be a more rational choice. And save me enough money for a new wheel truing stand. That is, if I go freestanding. I am giving serious consideration to using a workbench mount stand (PRS-4.2 or PCS-12) because it should give me the capability of leaving the bike up on the stand and still working on it even if Maggie has her car parked in the garage for the evening. The other big change coming is that, since I'm not stuck with the workbench that came with the garage when I bought it, Maggie will be parking her car straight rather than at an angle. This is a wide car-and-a-half garage.

Anybody in the gang using a bench mounted stand (or, wall mount, for that matter)? I can see a potential negative in that I'm going to be limited to working on a bike from one side, but then I'm usually spending my time on one side of the bike 98% of the time as is, so I'm wondering just how big a negative that is.. Opinions here are very welcome.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)