View Single Post
Old 12-11-19, 07:49 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by OldDog1
To the OP, I'm sorry to read this.

To Robbie - please consider a seperate post detailing what could be typically covered under a policy. Building values, general contents, riders for special items, etc. I bet many here are underinsured. Adding riders for our toys is not expensive, but you do need to be specific. I'm not an agent, but my wife is, thus my second hand info. Some detailed information would be most helpful to many here. Thanks.
First thing I'll add to something like that is the the old saw that "the insurance company is out to rip you off to preserve their own profitability" ain't necessarily true. The settlements I've received so far have been beyond my (admittedly modest and cynical) expectations. And I'm not a long term customer with these guys either, having only switched over to them about 26 months ago. Other than my initial worries about a few (turned out to be boilerplate) comments on the part of the adjuster mentioned very early in this thread, the guy has been very good to deal with, and is working with the recovery firm on an almost frictionless basis.

Right now the biggest out of pocket I'm looking at is a serious electrical upgrade in the building from what was there previously, which I've expected to cost me a few bucks (1991 built garages didn't exactly come wired for charging electric cars). Turns out the adjuster is justifying the physical labor to one of my upgrades (separate lines to the other three outbuildings on the property) on the basis that the original conduit running power into the garage is unusable, so they're going to have to retrench. Which will just happen to carry my upgraded wiring in it, as well as the replacement for the original. I definitely cannot complain.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)