Old 03-12-20, 10:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by cnnx
how much weight can I lose using my hybrid bike? i'm 6'1 236lbs right now and want to get to 200lbs, is this possible over the spring/summer of 2020?
how many KM or miles would I have to ride
Well, in a week it's Spring of 2020 already. Still, 36 lbs @ roughly 3500cal/lb = 126,000 calories. If your weight has been roughly constant the past few months, then (give or take) your intake is roughly equal to your expenditure. Need to create a calorie deficit. Which you can do from both ends. Eat smarter, with more-efficient food choices. And, work harder and longer. In time, it should work. Unless there's some serious metabolic reason why it wouldn't in your case (thyroid issues, for example).

If you've only got two days out of seven for cycling, then for exercise perhaps consider a vigorous, cardio-intensive workout every day that's in the half-hour range. Which you ought to be able to fit in there somewhere. Such as, a variety of body-weight "floor" exercises, which ought to consume in a couple hundred calories (or more). Can be done at home, over a lunch hour (at work), or at the gym facility. Vigorous, very cardio, little to no breaks or delays. Add to that a couple hundred calories per day eliminated from the diet, via smarter food choices, and you'd be well on your way. At an average of ~500cal/day deficit, that works out to roughly one pound per week lost. Definitely achievable by summer, for most folks.

Some thoughts, assuming you don't have any particular dietary restrictions or reasons to be concerned over certain changes ...

For starters, try stripping out unnecessary sauces and squeeze-bottle stuff (dressings, sauces, oils). Replace with modest use of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, spices and herbs. Can be just as flavorful, but more healthful. Boost your fiber intake, which will help you feel "full" sooner but won't add to your calorie intake. Boost your intake of salads, which takes up lots of space, helps you feel full, but has much less calorie content that other items most folks eat. Have modest amounts of the more calorie-rich items you normally eat. Boost your water intake, eliminating most of the non-water fluids you normally consume. Consider eliminating many of the packaged+labeled foods you might normally eat, instead opting for more-natural food items in their natural forms (which you'd then need to prepare, of course). Right there, such changes can amount to several hundred calories' worth of intake, based on a typical diet.