Old 05-04-20, 08:36 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Kilroy1988 I share Drillium Dude's sentiments as well! Fantastic work! I'm guessing you made your bag from thick cow hide? I've not tried to work with any yet but hope to in the future.
Thank you sir, and thank you Drillium Dude

I wouldn't call the carved leather on this bag "thick" because it's only 3-4 oz, or about 2mm. It's raw vegetable tanned leather, which allows me to do what I will with the surface. I've been making reproductions of ancient & medieval leather goods for almost fifteen years now, and for much of that time have accepted commissions for relatively time-consuming projects, often involving lots of ornate tooling or paint work. Without spamming the thread, you can see most of the stuff I've done that seemed worth sharing in these Flickr albums:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90721376@N07/albums

As mentioned, I'm almost done with what will be my last commission for the foreseeable future, and would like to play around with making some cycling goods, such as saddle bags, saddles, toe straps, brake hoods, etc... I'm surprised to say that this is the FIRST cycling item I've made, despite years of doing both leather work and restoring vintage bikes simultaneously!

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988: