Old 07-07-20, 10:53 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 995:

Had a cardiology appointment at the heart hospital, so I rode the 12 miles there. When I left the house it had just finished raining and the streets were wet. I took the hybrid with fenders. Except for a few puddles, I probably could have gotten away with taking the road bike as the sun came out and my ride home from the hospital was on completely dry pavement.

About 6 miles from home I started hearing a "thump, thump, thump.." coming from the front of the bike. At a stoplight I looked down and saw a bulge in the tire. It was still holding air so I decided to milk it as far as it would go. I made it the whole way back. Upon inspection I found a hole in the front tire. And when I say hole, I mean obviously visible hole more than 1/8" in diameter. I could clearly see the tire liner.

On a related note, my tire liners (Rhinozillas) just made me a firm believer in their effectiveness. I would have been stranded a long ways from home without them today, as with a hole that size in the tire no patch or replacement tube would have gotten me home.

Here's episode 11 of my bicycle commuting adventures video: