KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
yes, why do you use them or why not?

I've drank them sporadically. Not sure if they help so asking opinions!

for me they give an energy boost during or after a ride, but it may just be the sugar
1) For building muscle.
2) For preserving muscle.

Its really something you only need during regular anaerobic training -- or when you're trying to get stronger. During period when I'm not going to the gym regularly, I won't supplement protein.

If you're a pure straight and level cyclist, you could very well get all the protein you need just from whole food. Still, its a quick and easy way to replenish your stores especially when you're out or on the go.

Protein drinks are also as healthy as you can get when you want to satisfy your sweet tooth (in a meal); and are recommended when you're dealing with a muscle wasting condition such as after surgery for example.

I use mine when I'm under the weather from a virus and I can't hold down solid food, or just don't have any appetite (people tend to lose muscle when they're sick -- especially the flu).

You are right about the sugar for the boost though. But you really want to avoid using protein as an energy food if you can help it. Sure it will work, but its inefficient, and a very expensive way to fuel a workout. Its like using your home furniture as wood for your fireplace.