View Single Post
Old 04-16-17, 09:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
...continued from previous post.

All four wires were now exposed at the bottom bracket and Junction B was attached. The junction fit neatly into the bottom bracket hatch. Securing the cover over the hatch was a very satisfying moment.

The rear derailluer wire installed easily and it took a while for me to find where the wire plugs into the front derailleur. I don't like the way the front derailleur wire routes between the derailleur cage and frame. It looks like it can be pinched when shifting to the small ring and I spent a lot of time fiddling with this wire after reinstalling the derailleur onto the frame. Time will tell.

Grommets have me completely baffled. I've absolutely no idea what to do with the holes in the downtube and chainstay. Niner included plugs to fill the holes and I split two of these and used them as makeshift grommets but they look pretty bad. The hole for the front derailleur wire is round but I'm sure the grommets supplied with the frame are for oval holes and it clearly doesn't fill the hole correctly. The front derailleur hole is an easy fix as Shimano sells grommets for both round and oval holes but I'm at a loss for the chainstay and downtube holes.

The first photo below shows the plug which was split and used as a grommet for the rear derailleur wire on the chainstay. The second photo shows a grommet for an oval hole shoved into the round hole.

Running the wires at the bar still has to be done and then the bar can be wrapped. Meanwhile, any advice on grommets would be appreciated. I'm wondering if Niner included the correct grommets with the frame and will give them a call after the holiday.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-16-17 at 09:19 AM.