KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Wow what leaps in time on this thread.
Originally Posted by stardognine
Wasn't there a law, that said you had to deliver newspapers, before you could get into junior high? I inherited a route from my older brother, delivering the New Castle News, but didn't do it very long, because we moved. I didn't suffer too much though, grass cutting jobs seemed to find me, whether I wanted them or not.
Funny, I did all that and more all on my own. I was consummate entrepreneur ever since I was recruited to delver. the Miami News.

I was riding around on my banana seat 3-speed bike replete with light, horn, bar streamers and my front basket when newspaper delivery van lady asked me if I wanted a route. I accepted but it didn't last long.

I hated when it came time to collect because half my customer either weren't home or told me to come back later. Keeping track of who owed what was a pain in the neck.

After that, I started a lawn maintenance service. Next came meals on wheel (yes, I invented it). And after that I created the car detailing long before it was a thing. Although, that was due to my OCD -- long before it was called that -- that caused me to be so meticulous. Not expanding on being my own boss is my life's biggest regret. I suffered hugely from low self-esteem as a child.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Good for all of you... by the time of my childhood papers were delivered by sad adults in cars
Sounds like the Golden Era of newspaper middle 70s to mid 80s just before expanding TV news coverage and the eventual death of the newspapers. It was big business during that period (which attracted adults) and delivery could no longer be relied upon by kids.

I ended up working in the service department of that same newspaper just after high school graduation.