View Single Post
Old 05-14-18, 10:41 AM
scholl43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
I had an 8x12 garden shed that I used for bike storage. Built it myself and used landscape ties as "sleepers" to put it on. I presently have an 8x8 shed and it's too small, fortunately I also have a garage. Here are some things I would want to ensure if I were you: 1. Electricity. Can you run power to it? If so, that will make a big difference otherwise you would need windows for light and windows will create a security weakness. 2. Security. You will need to make sure you have a good strong door with a good lock on it. The sheds you buy often have weak hinges and locks that could easily be broken off. 3. Zoning. There are probably rules that dictate how large a shed you can have and if there are setback requirements. Look around your neighborhood to see what other people have. Ask.
Good luck.
1. Electricity would be prohibitively expensive
2. That was my view after reviewing a lot of sheds online. The lock designs leave a lot to be desired. I want something that requires and angle grinder to get into.
3. There are a lot of rules, which is why I’m trying to split this into two sheds to be more space-efficient and get under those rules without needing a permit. Enforcement is spotty, but it definitely happens.

The best bike shed with locks that I’ve seen is the Asgard, but they’re not sold in the U.S.