Old 04-10-19, 02:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've kept a pain diary for years to identify probable causes for headaches and other aches and pains. I'll take notes on foods and beverages, activities, weather/barometric pressure, allergy reports, etc.

Turns out it's almost never what I'd expected or what well-meaning friends armed with woo suggested.

Food triggers for headaches and body aches? Pretty rare for most people. When I was keeping a pain diary to identify migraine triggers 30 or so years ago one of the supposed triggers was gluten. Yup, way before the current gluten paranoia.

But gluten intolerance isn't really a thing for most folks unless they have a genetic predisposition. Same with most artificial sweeteners, sugar alcohols, etc. Sure, sugar alcohols like maltitol can cause digestive upset in some folks -- the stuff gives me ferocious gas, so if I eat any power bars or gels with maltitol I need to stay at the back of a group ride. But I've stopped buying the energy and protein bars that contain maltitol (ThinkThin bars are very good, other than the maltitol). Years ago I noted shiitake mushrooms as a possible trigger.

Turns out these weren't migraines and none of the triggers had anything to do with it. Ditto cluster headaches, which another neurologist suggested. It's more likely to be trigeminal neuralgia related to chronic upper sinus inflammation. I'm being re-evaluated now, including CT scans and MRIs.

Ditto chronic and recurrent body aches and pains. Nothing to do with foods or beverages, other than alcohol. The only consistent trigger has been sudden barometric pressure changes, usually drops but occasionally sudden higher pressure fronts. Same trigger as my headaches. This doesn't prove that barometric pressure change is responsible. But it's the most consistent condition that seems to coincide with aches and pains.

The headaches seem to be better controlled with more effective antihistamines, decongestants and inhalers. I've also tried a few supplements that supposedly relieved some upper respiratory problems: bromelain (pineapple enzyme) for sinus inflammation; niacin for loosening mucous. Both seem to work. At least they don't cause any harm. I have fewer severe headaches.

Another common trigger, especially for headaches, is caffeine. Anyone who drinks caffeinated beverages daily will develop some dependence. If we go more than 12 hours or so without a caffeine fix we'll begin to experience some withdrawal symptoms, commonly mild or worse headaches and body aches. I drink two or three cups of coffee in the morning and if I wait until noon or later to drink coffee or use caffeine, I'll have a moderate to severe headache. It clears up within 30 minutes of drinking coffee.

For other folks their caffeine fix comes from sodas -- usually colas, but caffeine is in many other carbonated beverages. Some energy drinks contain multiple stimulants, with highly concentrated caffeine, yohimbe, guarana, even ephedra, etc. Several years ago my cousin's oldest daughter in high school began experiencing sudden dizziness, then began to pass out and have seizures. After a neuro workup and physical it turned to be due to the kid subsisting primarily on energy drinks and candy -- the only snacks available in her school vending machines were sugary sodas, or with artificial sweeteners, and energy drinks, and candy. As soon as she changed her diet she got better.