Old 08-04-19, 09:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I've been using a chain checker tool (similar to the one in the image below) to determine when I need to change my chain. Right now my tool is telling me the chain is at 50% life/wear.

Yet when I do a search online re: when to replace a change, I'm getting mileage/distance recommendations. Frequently in the 2,000 to 3,000mi range (https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a20...ur-bike-chain/). This seems kind of young/early to me.

So I'm torn. What's best practices? Replace the chain by distance or when the chain checker tool says the chain is at 75% life?
The mileages are only a range. If you want to get more life out of the cassette which is the more expensive part of the drivetrain, replace the chain more often. Sure you could run a chain for 5,000 or 10,000 miles but you’ll have to replace the cassette with each chain because a new chain will skip on an cassette that has had a chain on it for that long.

I can’t find a manual on the KMC chain checker but I think you are reading it wrong. If it is anything like the Park Tool, that’s not “75% of life” but 0.75% of elongation. In other words, the chain is 0.75% longer than it was new. It’s not much.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!