View Single Post
Old 06-03-20, 08:23 AM
Emilio700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Does it ever need to come apart for maintenance? If so I’d use blue. Red usually needs heat to soften.
I don't really know yet. I have only had it apart once. First test ride was yesterday and I think the bolt that goes through the trunion might be worn because the steerer still has it a bit of play even though the bolts are tight.

The tapered carbon seats in the frame that everything attaches to are still intact which was my greatest worry. I had preemptively ordered spares of the front decoupler assembly for a potential future service but now it looks like I'm going to need to put those in soon.

If there is a flaw it is that the bolt is not held fixed in place but actually spins like a bearing. The two nuts on either side of the head tube are held in place by the cccentric washers. You put an allen key into the center of the bolt and turn it like a jack screw. All the pounding of the entire upper headset bearing gets transmitted to that jackscrew like bolt which probably makes it flex, which makes it rotate. So the design fix would either be an aggressive threadlocker like red Loctite or a much larger diameter bolt to reduce or eliminate the flex that causes the fasteners to loosen.

Thousands of front ISO speed users out there and I have not seen any reports or issues with it. I believe mine is an anomaly with the rather extreme use I put the bike through. I will update this thread as I dig into it and find a permanent solution or at the very least, a routine service schedule.