Old 06-24-20, 04:16 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
For the first test ride (three or so weeks ago), I swapped bar and stem for a 105mm Specialized 26.0 clamp stem and 41cm Nitto Noodles I had on hand. I run 42cm bars, so these were narrower, but what I had on hand. I had been meaning to get back into using Noodles as they are really comfortable, and pretty. The scratched up original seat post got a very un-touring-like Prologo Scratch Pro that didn't match. Long-running Fizik bar tape wrapped the bars after I put my lovely NOS Dura-Ace 7402 brake levers on. I gave the semi-original wheels to a friend and replaced them with a "close enough to match" free "wheelset" I got from the bottom of the apartment building stairwell: 6500 Ultegra hub laced to a Mavic Open Pro Black (32 hole) for the rear, and a Joytech hub laced to an unknown rim for the front. I had completely overhauled and trued these wheels, then mounted my bought-for-cheap Grand Bois Cypress 30mm tires. A Campagnolo Potenza 11-speed chain used previously on my P15 Paramount would be long enough to run the 13-28T + 48/44/28T system over a 450mm chain stay length. The brake pads were adjusted and cables hooked up.

The result of this very hodgepodge build was nothing short of surprising and sublime. This bike is fast. And comfortable! But man, it's really rapid. Airy, breezy, easy kind of speed and demeanor. Out of the saddle? Eager and enthusiastic, just shy of my all-out race-geometry bikes. What is this thing??? Turning? Perfect. Here I am in the middle of battling my Paramount's new TB14 wheel build and spoke replacement--the Paramount, an always strong frame made even stronger (and perhaps a tad harsh) with the addition of the TB14s--and along comes this cobbled-together semi-tired paint Expedition with worn and abandoned parts, regular spokes, and some (thankfully) decent tires (tires that couldn't quell the TB14 impact characteristics when mounted) and just blows me away.

I didn't know what to expect, but it came for all my bikes and planted some pretty heretical thoughts inside my head. It spared the Davidson, but gave no quarter to the Allez SE (as currently set up), the Prologue, and even my Paramount. Really? Yeah, don't ask. It was so good, that for wheels, I want to exactly replicate them as they are now on a spare family bike (their original intent, but just used for this test ride). TB14s and Vuelta Corsa Lite rims share an unfortunate "bluntness" in their impact transmission characteristics. With the wrong tires, they could be considered harsh. With nice/supple tires, they are manageable, if not mostly normal. Both are dead solid at speed and through turns, and the polished TB14 is simply beautiful. But for the Expedition? Not a chance. Mavic Open Pro Black rims all the way, 30-32mm tires max for lower weight and ideal/same handling as what I felt. My years of switching wheels and tires for bikes has led me to the conclusion that every bike has "its wheels" and "its tires." I finally got it right on the Davidson, and the Expedition was dumb luck. Best to go back for seconds.

Enough blathering. Time for more pictures of a much better sorted bike. The dramatic evening lighting hides the mottled paint and roughed-up decals, but that grey metallic is lovely, especially against the black, tan, and silver. I really dig the proportions, something I didn't expect to say about a long wheelbase bike, but here I am, and they're spot on. Gorgeous bike!

Likes For RiddleOfSteel: