View Single Post
Old 07-23-20, 08:39 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I regularly commuted on a bike for 15 years before Covid, and hope to get back to commuting soon. My two cents:

I joke that I break out in a sweat when I look at a bike; my wife nods vigorously when she hears me. A shower at work helps, but I've ridden 5-10 miles and cleaned up with baby wipes in a restroom when a shower wasn't available.

As with some others, I have a car which I'll use when I have to: for mid-day trips offsite when I need to look professional and don't have time to ride, when I need to carry bulky or heavy loads, or when ice or snow is on the road. (Uber/Lyft aren't options for me.)

My regular bikes are touring bikes, but I do have a lighter bike. The light bike doesn't see a lot of action, because it lacks fenders and racks.

Benefits? My cardiologist told me I'm still alive because of all the cycling. Half to 3/4 of my annual miles are commuting. Also, I've cut my gasoline consumption by 2/3, which gives me some money to spend on bikes, accessories, parts, and clothes.

I think cycling is a rational transportation choice for most people. But I've backed off recommending that everyone should ride wherever they can. It requires changes that seem to be larger than many people want to make.
Likes For pdlamb: