Old 06-14-20, 01:46 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I have 2 buddies, that because of life and work, we had all fallen apart over the years. These were bike ridding buddies. One of them just retired this week and has joined our group. We all live close together and meeting up either here or there and going for a ride is not a problem. Today we rode to downtown Long Beach (across from the Queen Mary) and hung out for a while. It almost seems like we all put in our time making a life for ourselves but now that we've all recently retired we can take up right where we left off 40 years ago.
Nice living vicariously through all you guys. Before Covid, I was riding with a group we call Team Type 3, named after the Tour De Cure rides they did. Formerly rode out of the Long Beach Town Center Performance Bike Shop before they closed, now as an independent group - we now start off from the Sam's Club gas station parking, off on Saturday and Sunday Mornings if you want to ride in a group. We have A and C group, I ride in the C group cause I'm just not interested in speed. We hope to get back on the road soon, I certainly need to because of a back injury in early February that I've finally healed from (mostly) but then Covid hit so being cautious about getting back out. Nice to see you guys getting out there and riding consistently.

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Did a loop around Turnbull Cyn, SGRT, Sierra Madre/Foothill, Up/Down San Dimas Cyn, Via Verde, Grand, Brea Cyn/Pathfinder.
70 miles and 5K of climb. I was good for 30 miles then the dreaded BB creak started and got progressively creakier.
^^^^^No crank play at the start then by mile 50 about a half inch of play. At least we get a warning.
Awesome day for a ride. San Dimas Cyn Park had running water and shade so a nice respite before heading back.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32921905
Sorry to hear your BB got loose. Now I know why some people carry a crank wrench with them. Hopefully it wasn't the BB bearings failing. Very nice route, obviously you climb a lot. Your last path through Fullerton Rd. and into Larkvane/Calle Barcelona goes right by my mom's house at Samara Drive! Fullerton Road sure seems tight for a bike though I'm sure you're used to it. I'm in La Habra and need to get back to working the hills. Was training for Eroica California (and for some of your, Nova Eroica) but had a back injury in Early February, so have been out of commission till healed about Mid-April-May. Now just need to get back out. Thanks for posting all of your routes, gives me some good ideas to work towards.

Sounds like Eroica California would be pretty straightforward for you guys, vintage bikes or modern bikes. It has been rescheduled into end of September and starts in Cambria and rides through the hills nearby or up and down PCH.
www.eroicacalifornia.com
https://eroica.cc/en/nova-california