View Single Post
Old 09-14-19, 11:46 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100
FWIW, on my outback Australia self-supported tours I carried lots of tools and parts - including spoke wrenches and spokes (needed by the bike shop in Katherine, NT in August 2006). The Park chain "link breaker" tool was heavy, but a god-send, not just for me but for several tourers I met with a busted chain. Oh, chain links too.

Better to have and not need, than to need and be SOL ��
On a camping tour, it's a whole different thing. Bringing a basic tool kit including a chain breaker is only sensible. BITD I'd put together a mini kit with 4/5/6 allens, multiwrench for the hexheads, chain breaker, spoke wrench. Nowadays I have a little multitool. For the OP, I think the former old school approach is a lot more sensible than trying to swap out all the bolts.

I maintain however that a properly set up all campy Masi or equivalent should not require any tools for a normal ride. That's kind of what it's designed for. FWIW I rode my campy Masi for years and never needed tools on the road. This was for long distances and often over substantial gravel sections.