View Single Post
Old 07-04-20, 09:09 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
The Traveler was not that great of bike, I would look for either a Super Le tour, Le Tour Luxe, Voyageur or Voyageur SP. The Voyageur SP was the top of the line in the touring series, in fact I have them listed in order of low to high; the Le Tour you had was below the Super Le Tour, and that frame was on the flexy side, not to mention moderately heavy. The weight as I listed in order starts at 25 pounds and each model after the Super Le Tour loses a pound. And the geometry for all those bikes are very close to the same as the Le Tour you had.

The other weird thing about Schwinns, 1985 was the best year for those models I listed, they tried to impress the world with their high quality bikes and components in hopes of not going bankrupt, so they took out all the stops for the 85 models, it didn't work obviously. In 1985 they were still using 27" wheels on those touring bikes, which isn't a bad thing because there are a few really nice tires in that size; they also used schrader valves, but you can easily convert that to using presta valves by using a special grommet.