Old 01-26-15, 11:10 PM
rideBjj

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
I tore my labrum training for Boston 4 years ago. It has been devastating to me as an active person. While in PT they suggested biking. I rode my mtb ont HHS street for two weeks and then bought a hybrid. After two weeks,I borrowed a neighbors road bike. The next week the 1st road bike was in my garage. It is not running but it is still awesome. I am 46 and do not want a replacement as that means the end of running as I know and love it. I can ride any distance but when speeds go over 23 mph my energy in the left leg goes pretty fast. The imbalance causes back pain. Thus, I try to eat my ego and back off that pace. I now try to strengthen my hip and surrounding area in an attempt to push my limits further. My pain level daily is about 3-6. Keep fighting and figuring out what you can do to strengthen the area. I refuse to let pain dictate my life but it does alter it. My 1st bike was a relaxed geometry bike. My current is more traditional. This geometry is far better for me as the more upright I sit the more it hurts.
good luck.
Well actually, riding seems to be the single best thing I've been able to do for it since the problem arose. I've done all kinds of PT exercises, pilates, yoga, etc etc and all seemed to help to some degree. But riding consistently does seem to be making it better. Not in terms of regaining lost range of motion. I know that's not coming back without surgery. Riding has the added benefit of actually being fun and not a chore like having to go to pilates or stand around in my living room doing special exercises.

So in terms of pain, it seems the more I ride, the less it hurts.

I can still ride very hard (relative to myself) and put the hammer down to 9/10 in most situations with the exception of a full flat aero tuck and pedal, so for now that's good enough.