Old 06-01-19, 09:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What water bottle do you use?
Originally Posted by RVH
I need new water bottles and I can't find anything like my old, very simple, very light bottles. What do you recommend?
Originally Posted by freeranger
Nothing fancy, just regular plastic Polar bottles work for me. Not super light tho.
I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My preference for water is flavored carbonated water. [The local brand here around Boston is Polar Seltzer and it comes in a lot of flavors.] It comes in one liter bottles with a screw top cap to contain the carbonation.

It's inconvenient to open especially while riding, but it's so much more refreshing than plain water, even and especially when warm…

The liter bottles fit tightly in the cages and I secure them with a rubber band to prevent them from popping out.
...The first two swills have a kick to them, and even at the end of the ride after the bottle has been opened a couple times and it's warmed up, it still is more satisfying than tap water.

The downside is that I do have to unscrew the cap, so I have to slow my riding down to do that maneuver; or take a drink when I stop.

This year during the hot weather, I have begun bringing a smaller bottle of tap water, just for the purpose of dousing myself, refilling and repeating as necessary. In a pinch I have used the seltzer water too.
These bottles IMO are quite lightweight, made of rather thin guage thickness, pliable plastic, and the screw top caps nicely hold the pressure in. One winter, for example:
…I use a plastic liter carbonated soda bottle for my water supply, and it was only partially full.

At about mile 3, going up my steepest hill, the air in the bottle had contracted so much that the bottle was almost limp, and popped out of the holder, but the water did not freeze.
However,
Speaking of winter I have on a few posts repeated the suggestion of the definition of a cold ride as one where the water bottle freezes solid, as a function of temperature and time. For my 14 mile commute of slightly over an hour that occurs at about 15º F.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-01-19 at 10:04 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: