View Single Post
Old 02-07-21, 05:22 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I recently purchased and refreshed a 1999 Schwinn Peloton by changing out the cockpit and saddle with new parts to my liking. The entire bicycle is in excellent mechanical condition and with the rather soft Vittoria tires it came with the aluminum fork rides just as pleasantly as my older 531 forks do with Continental Gatorskins, so I plan to split the difference with some new GP 5000s! After a shakedown ride last weekend I got out today for a pleasant 22 miles and stopped at one of my favorite little canals out west of Visalia...

I sat listening to a multitude of sparrows chattering in a few gnarled oaks and black walnuts, until silence swept over the flock after a Cooper's hawk approached. At first it landed haphazardly in a bit of dry brush right under the bridge I was leaning over, and it did not notice me! It always astonishes to realize how promptly sparrows or other flocks of small birds are alerted to a predator's presence - as soon as one issues a single alarmed chirp all the rest go silent!

Cheers!

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988: