Old 03-13-20, 09:48 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
I'm really interested in getting into 3D printing and printing bike mounting systems seem like a great place to start. Is there any sub-$1,000 3D printers that can do a decent job of this?
Absolutely. You can do wel with a $200 budget. $1000 does not get you much better results but does but much better customer service and support.

These are popular and work very well https://www.amazon.com/Printer-Deskt.../dp/B07B3RN6NG

What you also need is to kinds of software
(1) 3D Modeling or "CAD" Software so you can design parts. Here is a learning curve but in a few weeks you are up to speed and
(2) slicer software to convert the above design to the kind of file a printer needs.

I use Autodesk's Fusion360 for design work. It is free for hobby users and even commercial use if you company is making less then $100K/year. Fusion360 is completely professional quality. You could use it to design things like car or bike parts, power tools or whatever. For a slicer, I like "Cura" and Cura works well with my Anet A6 printer.

Do not hold off on getting a printer because of the cost. The cheap ones work then if you like you can upgrade the printers. The parts are standardized about like bike parts are with a few different "standards but many companies make the parts and they mostly interchange. The A8 is a "Prussia clone" and mostly can use Prussia-like parts so there is no vendor lock-in

$200 is actually a good enough working budget and you can make real parts. You will need to learn to tweek and adjust and experiment with temperatures and feed rates and what is the best way to get the plastic to slick to the built plat. It is not like a laser printer that you just plug-in and it works. These is a longer learning curve with 3D printers. People pay that $1000 to shorten the curve I'd not do that. Best to beat you head on the wall and learn how stuff works.

If you have the mechanical skills to build a bike or overhaul a bottom bracket you can work with a $200 printer. But if you are the guy who has the LBS fix flat tires for you you need the $2000 printer

Last edited by ChrisAlbertson; 03-13-20 at 10:49 PM.
Likes For ChrisAlbertson: