View Single Post
Old 03-22-20, 12:37 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
Russ - should do fine. And he should be able to use them right through expert frames, which should put him over 5', and even beyond if you run OS20 frames. You could use 1 1/8, especially on the rear, for weight as well, and I think Crupi sells a wider rim for 'expert'/1 3/8. The thinking is mostly that weight trumps most everything else for the little guys, I gather. Check out J&R bikes, I just got a set of box one harmonic hubs for $99 - they're being replaced by the stealth design box bought from true precision.

Do you race as well? I started last summer after my boys did (7N, 9N, 41-45N 😀 ) I love it, so do my sons.
Checked J&R, must have missed that one, profile had some of theirs on clearance as well but didn't have the cash at the time, I'll have to keep looking though; I would like him to have a good cassette hub with a properly stiff rim.
Last year was the first year of racing for him and I spent the summer dealing with tears in my knee; my wife is also askance at the idea of me on a BMX bike going around the track. I was thinking this year of maybe grabbing a helmet and seeing how I do on the hardtail.
Originally Posted by bwilli88
Skip the alloy nipples and get some good brass one, make for a sturdier build and is going to cost you what 2 oz.
Aluminum build up strong enough, I typically only build with alloy as much for the color as anything. I've had to replace only 4 nipples in the last 10 years and they all went at the same time, I didn't notice that the bracket for the kids trailer had twisted around and was in the wheels till I hopped on and pedaled down hard to take off. Ripped 4 spokes right out of the nipples and wrecked the spokes in the process. Nothing wrong with brass but color is cooler.