View Single Post
Old 04-26-20, 02:23 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Barry2, as I posted earlier; you have the 6700ss rear der already and you're going to use a 30T cassette. Why don't you try that combo as an easy experiment. Ride carefully and see if it will work to your satisfaction. If it does, it's a win for you. If not, change the rear derailleur.

I'm 78 and certainly don't want to be hurt on my bike. That said, I've been riding my bikes with a 32T cassette on my bikes with NO issues for over 5 years. Some of my bikes are off the rack, some are custom. They are made of steel or carbon or titanium. All are pretty modern, the oldest being a 2010 Look 585. All have a compact 34/50 crank. My point being that in multiple personal experiences, what I have works extremely well.

As another here has posted a Shimano 9-speed MTB derailleur is the best solution and will work with up to a 36T cassette with your existing components. This is a very common thing to do and used by many who tour and/or have many hills to climb.