View Single Post
Old 06-17-20, 06:00 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
1977 Gazelle Tandem

Right, so I just bought a tandem yesterday because... I wanted one.

It definitely needs some work but it was a mere €55 ($62) and I managed to ride it home fairly comfortably over the 9 km (5.5 miles) back home.
Some early digging doesn't turn up much information and even Gazelle's own image database of historic bikes doesn't quite show this particular model.
The frame seems to be a mix between the 1975 sport tandem and the later 1982 regular tandem with enclosed chaincase.
EDIT: Found out the bike is from 1977

The Sturmey Archer AB (the drum brake brother of the AW) hub is dated at '79 so the bike is probably from around that time too.

- 1975 tandem

- 1982 tandem

A bit of Dutch history on tandems in the Netherlands can be found here page 1 and page 2.

For future updates you can keep an eye on this thread.

The bike:

Plans for the future:
I do not plan to give this one a complete rebuild like I did with some of my other bikes but at the very least I will make it rideable again... and some new fenders... and maybe build new wheels... and have it painted...

NO, keep it simple Jacco.

Other threads:

Last edited by JaccoW; 09-24-20 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Found the build year