seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Possible reasons I can think of:

#4 Sell hookless (carbon) rims that are only safe at lower pressure,

#5 Convince you to lower pressure to a point where liquid sealant can work reliably. -> Sell the whole tubeless idea.

#6 Indirectly, sell more road tubeless stuff, that doesnt work reliably at normal road pressure.

#7 Make you believe your new $3000 nasa approved carbon frame is a magic carpet ride, that is both stiff and compliant at the same time (lol), when in reality its the tyres doing all the magic.

One real benefit to lower pressure wide tyres:

#1 You can run any stiff as a board alloy frame and feel perfectly comfortable. Get the right tyre and the rolling resistance penalty is minimal or even non existent. Im all for it.

You could be right. I've got wheelsets/bikes with some form of Conti GPs on them from 23s-32s. To be honest, there is a little bit of feel difference between the 23s and the 32s. But not much of a difference. Not like the "OMG" moments that some people are experiencing. That could be because I am a 5'8" 200lb rider riding vintage steel bikes from the 70s/80s. It could be because the rims are 32 or 36H clinchers that might not be as stiff as the current crabon rims. Or, it could be because the saddles I ride are vintage ones like the Selle Turbo and Avocet Touring series. Whatever the reason, I couldn't tell you what size of tire I am riding without looking down at it. But that's just me.
Likes For seypat: