Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
RR, Here is the definition of VAM and the formulas for calculating Watts/kg from VAM and and % grade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_ascent_velocity

You are not inconsistent. It is Strava that is inconsistent in its power calculation. Strava does not measure power but calculates it. I know one of the Strava guys so I will ask him how they do it. Wind and road conditions influence how much power is required to move a bicycle at a given speed as well as rider body position.

The good thing about VAM is that cyclists tend to climb the same hills so that the road and wind conditions are similar. And rate of climb is what racing is about.
Thanks, H, I've read that a couple of times, and am not sure I get it. I'll return and relearn.

Without a coach, with my background as a personal trainer/coach, I tend to train intuitively and conservatively. I give it up on the PCSD rides and some group rides, otherwise I'm solo, and we know how that goes..."Today we're going to do 6x10 intervals" "legs are weak, so now what?" "Today we're going to have a recovery ride." Ad nauseum, ad infinitum. And I don't speak Latin.

I just go out and pound it. I hope for the best and if it happens, great. If not, it's learning.