View Single Post
Old 06-10-20, 06:37 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Thruhiker
Thanks everyone for the answers. No I did not stand up I'm on the c&o canal (flat) then to the gap (one big hill out of cumberland) . In those 25 miles it was only a slight incline and I wasnt even going fast 10-12 mph usually. I think 79pmooney (the first person to answer) is right. It was chilly this morning 51 degrees along the river. I was not prepared for that low of temp. I actually left camp at 5.am to warm up I was only wearing shorts a t shirt and thermal sleeves. Nothing on my legs. Being as I'm already underway and was dropped off I cant put on my old pedals or I would. Old pedals are clipless same as how I rode today. Same shoes even. I did cover 64 miles today with all my gear but the last couple hours were really tough. I mostly just used one leg. I took some asprin now and am hoping for the best. I'm on my week long vacation. I'll be really upset if I cant continue. One more thing about it is walking does not hurt at all but standing up from a crouch does. Thanks again for everybody's help
you know thruhiker, I had to go and translate F into C, so now I see that 51f is about 10c.
I once did a two day trip, it was cold, even though I had tights, they werent warm enough, so my legs and knee muscles were cold. On top of it, second day it rained a ton and got colder, plus the gearing on my bike was too high and I had to reroute to hilly roads.
As Ive gotten older, Ive found that Im way more sensitive to cold muscles, and on that trip my right knee started acting up. A combination of overworking a bit, too cold , and wet a bit too.
I learned from that experience and bought some wool leg warmers, and its really rather clear how keeping my knee and leg muscles warm avoids sore knee issues--of course, maybe your experience was a combination of other factors too, but in rereading your comment, and finally figuring out that it was 10c, this certainly could be a factor. It would be for me.
the wool leg and knee warmers are great, cuz even if wet or damp, it keeps me warm.
hope the knee started to improve.
Likes For djb: