Old 07-10-19, 10:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Back in the day, with distance running training, I used to have the occasional mild to moderate cramping in a calf, rarely with a hamstring. Vastly boosted my stretching regimen, on all of the hip and leg related muscles ... and, so long as I was well hydrated, I almost never experienced cramping again.

Sufficient fueling pre-workout helped. Sufficient electrolytes in the fluids during workouts helped. But no matter what else I did, if I wasn't extremely limber for the level of performance I was attempting to do, then there was a fair chance of a cramp.

Can't say that I ever went after "performance" cycling, so I can't say the same factors would translate from hard distance running to cycling. But I can't see why not. Same body, same basic nutritional intake, same basic hydration, same basic distance and intensity ... varying only the degree of stretching (from mild, in the pre-cramping days, to heavy and all over, in the post-cramping days). Worked pretty darned well.

Of course, hard performance running, particularly on hillier routes, involves the calves quite a bit. They'd better be up to the challenge, strength-wise and in terms of flexibility. Along with the foot/ankle muscles, hams, quads, glutes, adductors, abductors. I'd suggest evaluating the level of flexibility and stamina-related strength you have in your cycling-oriented leg/hip muscles, to see if you've got sufficient stretching as part of your regimen. Might help reduce the incidence.

For me, stretching offers no benefits, has no relationship to cramping (that's actually been tested scientifically), and just hurts a bit and is boring.

If it seems to be working for you, keep doing it, but it's not likely got anything to do with OP's cramping. And stretching a not-warmed-up muscle is actually harmful to some people, so the "can't do any harm" assertion won't really fly here.