Old 07-17-19, 06:50 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I regularly do a speed workout where I roll down a small hill (overpass or levee works) to hit my target speed and then hold it for 60 seconds. I start early in the season at 27 and try to work up to 32. Repeat 6-10 times per session, 1 or 2 sessions per week.

It's meant to replicate coming to the front of the race and drilling it in the late laps. That will get you fast, and requires no equipment other than a basic speedometer.
Yea, but that is still a far cry from accelerating from ~20mph on flat ground, solo, all the way to 30mph on flat ground, solo, and then continuing to hold that speed for 30 seconds. I'm not saying it can't be done, but that would be a monumental effort.

edit: gee...now that I'm really thinking about it...maybe it's not QUITE so monumental. I could probably do it at 27-28 on my cross bike. Somebody kitted out on a TT bike with skin suit, that was a bit stronger, 30mph for a minute might not be so impossible. Still - thats a pretty big effort.
Likes For Abe_Froman: