efi

Bikes: Specialized Allez Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sanity Check - All-City Space Horse - for me, big ticket purchase

Hi all,

I moved to Denver this past fall, in part because of the wonderful weather. A week ago today, I sold my car and am now car free. I decided on this because biking made sense - the great weather, cheaper, health, etc. Unfortunately, 5 days after selling my car, my bike (2008 Specialized Allez) was stolen from outside my work. I'm now both carless and bikeless. I've already spoken with a lot of people about how to better secure my bike, so feel good about that moving forward.

I've test ridden several bikes (Bianchi, Specialized, and the All-City Space Horse). I absolutely love the Space Horse, but the price tag ($1,500) is much higher than I'd planned. It would also have the added cost of pedals, fenders, and potentially racks/bags - though I'd wait on the racks/bags.

I'm torn between looking at the bike as an investment, and thinking that I'm using that as a rationalization to buy something I really like. I know this is hugely personal, but would love to hear how others think through this, and also if there are any specific suggestions/thoughts about what to get or the Space Horse in particular.

Things I like about the Space Horse
- I feel like if I have it, I won't need to get another bike for a while. It covers commuting (chief concern now), longer weekend fitness rides, and smaller touring trips (e.g., 3 day, 2 night trips).
- I think it's a ton of fun to ride. I like that it dampens impact with cracks, bumps, etc. The geometry suits me. More so than any other bike that I test road, it clicked. I anticipate that I'll really enjoy getting out on it, whether for commuting, running errands, etc.
- It's sexy.
- I suspect that it will last.

Things I don't like about the Space Horse
- Price tag

Other options that I've considered:
- Similar model @ a few hundred cheaper, but that I don't enjoy riding as much. (Bianchi Volpe)
- Much cheaper bike that is more utilitarian. There's a shop down the street that sells State Bicycles starting at $300, but ranging upward from there.
- Something like the Trek Allant, which is cheaper at $600 but doesn't really do anything that I want to do very well. It also isn't that fun to ride. This is probably the direction that I'd go in if I don't do the Space Horse.

Open to any other suggestions, feedback, whatever. Thanks!

Dennis