Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by whiskyrider
Im a happy bunny no and more knowledgeable from the experience ��
Ah, the world needs more happy bunnies. Glad to know it, and congrats on getting the nice wheels set up to work well.

I found that experience matters a lot. So I cleaned out the front wheel (the stem had sealed up - couldn't inflate the thing). Spilled sealant from the first rim all over, took 45 minutes. But I was able to strip old sealant from the bead, and from the stem, and reseated the tire and it's holding nicely.

The rear wheel (same problem, same treatment) took about 20 minutes.

I realize that I'm missing the water tub that we had in the shop I worked in as a kid. I need to do a bubble check. Soapy water also can work.
I found that a sponge with a Scotch-Brite surface (this sponge was safe for non-stick, which may have been beneficial or unnecessarily mild, not sure) cleaned the beads with some elbow grease.

Also found that the large bottle of Bontrager Sealant is unwieldy and not very well thought out from a customer point of view. The measuring cup doesn't have gradations on it. I think its a straight 50ml, but 700c tubeless is supposed to use 25-30ml. Had to mark "25ml" and a witness line with a Sharpie. No help on the label*. There are solids in the Bontrager stuff that don't stay suspended very well. You have to be careful to 1) shake the bottle before measuring and 2) pour the measured stuff into the tube very quickly, else you get solids left in the measuring cup. The little tubing thing that the include is pretty useless. Hooked to the tire and bottle, you can't measure the amount. I took off the poor spout of the bottle and used it as a funnel with the measuring cup. For 25 bucks I expected better. But I also had a big bottle of Stan's, and that ended up with a big chunk of rubber in the bottom of the bottle. Pays your money, takes your chances, I guess.

*Bontrager does seem to lack a bit in the instructions and documentation department.