View Single Post
Old 08-21-18, 09:03 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I didn't want to take meds either but needed a TKA and it wasn't going to happen without a medical clearance. Being on'm now is the new normal and what I've been taking over the last 5 years is what I'll probably be taking for many more years... as you get older, a little higher than 'normal' is perhaps to be expected... 134/90 doesn't seem all that bad but if it's not really a problem, 160/100 is definitely on the high side of okay. You may not have the issues that some obviously do, e.g., -- an ultrasound can show a bigger heart with thickened ventricular walls and valve blow back due to high blood pressure such that not eating a Big Mac the day before you go in for your next check-up may not be all that is needed to defuse a ticking time bomb. 49 is a pretty low heart rate... mine is pretty low too but it does sort of raise the eyebrows of doctors based on what they usually see...

HR is easy to take yourself -- especially when sitting at a computer -- which, I just did and interestingly, it also is 49. So, I don't see that necessarily being a problem. The BP medications many take open up the pipes which reduces BP, which I don't think has any direct correlation with HR. Commonly-taken drugs may be the one I take, an ARB (angiotension receptor blocker) or an ACE(angiotension-converting enzyme inhibitor).

All said tho, you can't get concerned over a single reading. You can't know if, for example, the cuff at the firehouse was even accurate. Additionally, there are other things that can cause BP problems that probably need to be eliminated as a cause--e.g., sleep apnea.

Last edited by McBTC; 08-21-18 at 09:35 PM.