Old 07-02-19, 11:10 PM
RobWhite

Bikes: '81 Chris Kvale; '19 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=3speed;21005051]"I personally like to just carry a small-ish chain lock."

Makes sense. After reading the responses, thinking about it a bit, and doing a little more anecdotal 'research' I came to the same conclusion and bought a light chain lock for the normal rural riding I do. I know it won't stop any kind of real bike thief but should dissuade teenagers and potential petty criminals from riding away with it or throwing it in a truck when I'm stopped at a small town/rural convenience store, gas station bathroom, or cafe for a few minutes; and it's light and easy to carry.

Full confession: I actually bought three locks (two were cheap) and gave away the old Kryponite u-lock. The second is a light long cable lock that I plan to bring on multiday rural tours when I want to lock the bike to a picnic table, my tent, etc. over night in a campground and I might need more length. Then I also bought a heavy duty folding lock (Foldylock.) It seems to be a little more convenient (mounted on the bosses under the down tube) and lighter than a standard U-lock; and feels very solid and secure. But with the mounting bracket it still weighs 2.7lbs. And when you hold it you think 'I really don't want this anchor on my bike unless I REALLY need it...' So I just plan to bring it on tours (along with the cable lock) when I'll be in more populated areas with higher risk of theft.

And good point about bringing a light lock just to avoid the stress of 'watching it like a hawk.' I'm probably (surely) exaggerating a bit. However there definitely have been many times through the years using a bathroom in a gas station, say, where I was rushed and worried. Might start bringing the new light (1/2 lb-ish) chain lock along on those fast rides too just for the peace of mind.