LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by JBHoren
Mine (Florida) is due to expire on my birthday, at the end of January. The last time it needed to be renewed, I was able to do so online; but now it requires an in-person visit. I've been car-free (this time) since returning to Florida, late-May 2012. I've had to rent a car twice, the last time was May 2016, and haven't driven since then (hell, I haven't even ridden in a car!). So, here's my question:

Q: Given that places tend to request photo-ID in order to do many things, do you find it easy, difficult, or impossible to do so with an expired driver's license?

It's not that I can't afford the $52 fee, or the $32 fee for a "walking-around" photo-ID card; it's that even if the DL is expired, I'm still me, and that's still my photo and my address -- nothing's changed. I'm not going to buy a car (can't afford one, even if I wanted to), and nobody's going to give me one; and, even if I had one, I couldn't afford the registration, insurance, and "care-and-feeding".

Should I bite the bullet, or let it expire in peace?
Being officially old (over 50), I only need an ID once in a blue moon. I held only a passport for ID for years, but now in PHX Arizona, I need to flee the heat and head up north for bike rides in the summer and there are no buses with bike racks that head up that way that I know of, so I have had a DL for a couple years now. I got by fine with just a passport, though.