View Single Post
Old 03-25-21, 01:24 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I took WhyFi on the full loop from the Fan out across the Belvidere bridge and on out to Old Gun, it's my favorite loop in the area. There's still a quarter mile of terror where the bike route crosses the Powhite on-ramp on Forest Hill, they've been doing road work for about 2 years but it should be done soon and they're adding a bike lane from what I can tell. I also did an east end ride a week or two ago and saw a bunch of timers for a self-start marathon on the cap trail, I guess Sportsbackers was trying to get people to register for the marathon without a mass start event? My company is actually just north of the river rather than Manchester, we just bought our building on 5th street as well as the parcel next to it for a future office development, nice to feel as if I have job security for as long as I want it with the way they've invested in Richmond.
That's a great route. I don't think you can avoid the Forest Hill Toll area if you want to do both upper and lower Riverside.

What you saw in the East End is the way the running events are done currently. Sportsbackers did their events in the fall that way last year. It works well. The courses start in Dorey Park. It's an out and back on the Cap trail. The courses open early in the morning and all day for the whole weekend. SAG stations are open. You walk up with a mask on and social distance while you are picking up your stuff. Then you walk up to the start and take off. Get away from the start and take your mask off. Do your thing and finish. Then put your mask back on and go back to social distancing. I was signed up for the half marathon that weekend and the Shamrock Half this past weekend. I tried to run on the Monday of the first weekend but couldn't. Finally was able to run on Wednesday of that week. Ran that half then the Shamrock half this past weekend. Did OK in both. The Shamrock had the same format. I drove to VA Beach Saturday morning and checked into my beachfront hotel around noon. It was less than a block to the start. Then I changed clothes, walked out and ran the half. Sat on the balcony the rest of the day taking in the beach. Good times.