View Single Post
Old 10-30-19, 02:41 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I'm so annoyed about this, because we'd taken the twins to the Sacramento stage the last 2 years and had them ride the Strider race and check out all the stalls. I was hoping to take them to a mountain stage once they were a little older, be it Tahoe or Diablo.

It sounds like AEG can't make it pencil out for 2020. Possible factors;

1) The race just wasn't working. It happens, lots of races don't break even, and CA is an expensive place to run a race, even with that big Amgen money; Vaughters is interviewed on Cyclingnews and reckons because the state govt don't pony up for it, the ToC probably costs the organizers as much as the Tour de France.

2) Rejigging the season to fit the Olympics in means that anyone who was likely to show up to race California, was probably not a big name. Sagan has already committed to the Giro.

3) AB467 which mandates that any sporting event using public land (ie, the roads) has to have equal pay for women. ToC already has equal prize money for winners, stage wins etc, but the womens race has fewer stages. The prize money probably wouldn't actually be a big difference, but the logistics and expenses of running the women's race for an extra 4 days would be a nightmare. Don't get me wrong, there absolutely should be equal billing between men and women. But if the law was a factor in AEG's decision, then this is a backward step toward that goal.
Likes For Leinster: