For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
It depends on many factors.

I'm a through cyclist. My typical daily ride is about 30 miles (including a few stops). Sidewalks just have far too many crossings to deal with.

On the other hand, there is at least one place where I'll make a left turn onto a 4+1 lane road, and turn into a business about 1 block later on the left side. And, it just makes sense to hit the sidewalk for that block.

In another situations, I find it is easier/safer to cross a moderately main road, about 1 block east of the business driveway, so I head down the left sidewalk for about a block, then cut across when traffic allows.

Oh, and a third place, an off-street MUP dumps me out on the left side of a busy 2-lane road. The first light has no trip-switch for bicycles, so I find myself moving down about 1 block to the second light that I can trip the switch, and get over onto the right side and bike lane.
There are places I will do that as well. I move along those stretches slowly and with due regard for the unique hazards associated with sidewalk cycling.