Old 01-12-19, 09:31 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by bmartinek
Bought a set of Bon Jons and 3 flats in 12 miles. They offered a 20% discount on a new tire. That would be good money after bad...
Then again, I put ~1k almost exclusively gravel miles on my Snoqualmies before my first flat. Of course, my first flat on these tires happened to be a 3/4" cut that needed booting to finish the ride. I trashed the tire after limping home, $62 down the drain. The cut was somewhat my fault. I was on a very busy pavement section, got distracted and hit a small piece of metal debris. Bad luck all the way around.

Punctures can happen to any tire and are more often caused by pinches than anything else. I don't worry about punctures, especially with tubeless setups. What I worry about is ride-ending cuts. I would say that based on my experience, the Compass tires are definitely more prone to cuts than some other tires with more robust carcasses. I am lightweight and nicked a tiny piece of metal (it took me a couple of minutes to even find what I hit) and the tire basically catastrophically exploded. I ride about 6K miles a year and have never seen that on other tires. I will say that I went a long way with no issues on these tires despite some pretty hard use on rough gravel and rocks. There's clearly a trade-off here: creampuff dreamy ride quality for a bit of cut resistance. YMMV.