Old 02-25-19, 09:22 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
What makes a crit bike a crit bike?

TL;DR: Money no object, is the Allez Sprint a better crit bike than a Venge or Madone or any other aero bike due to geometry or handling or some other characteristics?

Long version:

I have an Allez Sprint, which is probably the most archetypal crit bike to exist. Slightly aero, alumninum for crashes and cost, super stiff and responsive handling.

However, this is currently my only bike and personally, I’m not heavy or powerful enough to detect flex in any decent bike - but I’m light and sensitive enough to get blown around and jarred by rough pavement. I do race crits, and do get very aggressive with the risks I take and the moves I make so I do have use for a good crit bike.

I’m thinking about getting a new bike and I have to decide whether to keep the Allez and get a “training” bike that focuses on durability and comfort or to replace the Allez with a single higher end bike that’s more comfortable and more aero (like a Venge or Madone).

If a Venge or Madone would be worse in any way than the Allez in a crit, I’d like to know. For example, can I pedal the same through corners? Can I change lines quickly if other people swerve? Is the geometry well suited to frequent sprints? Basically, is an expensive aero bike better than an Allez Sprint in every way, or are there some compromises?

Sorry if I’m overthinking this, but it’s a big financial decision.