Old 04-21-19, 09:40 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,900 Times in 1,542 Posts
San Luis Rey RR Cat 3, 4th/12 starters. Course is a 14-mi U-shape with the S/F line after a 10 minute low-grade (4%) stair-step type climb. Flattens out 1 km before the finish. We did four laps.

Short Version: I missed the break (of 3).

Long Version:

I knew that I was fitter than previous years when I wasn't a realistic contender for the win given the course, so mentally it would be different. I wasn't going to "check out" at the bottom of the last climb b/c I knew I would be one of the better ones.

In a race this small, I knew it would be a weird, and kind of fun race. They're not worth as many points (for obvious reasons), but I like small fields. A few short-lived breaks went in the first half with Cal Bike really animating the race with attacks and counters. With two strong riders they were the only "team" there. Halfway through the lap a group of three gets about a minute, then on the climb me and two other riders bridged up. As soon as we got there the cooperation up front just went out the window and the rest of the field was able to latch back on. Great.

Then after climb 2 (of 4), the real move went, and actually after the 180 degree turn after the climb, which is also the feed zone. I wasn't getting a bottle but I did soft-pedal to ditch one on the curb with our Team Director. Lame place to attack really. I didn't want to hustle the break back and instead relied on Cal Bike to bridge us back up but they didn't and that's why I lost. We spent a lap working fairly smoothly (5-6 of us) and just did not get any time. So they were probably the best three out on course.

After a lap of rotating and a third climb most of the rest of the field was dropped. I knew that I was the best of the rest and managed to salvage fourth. The last lap was sloooooooooow as we relegated ourselves to racing for fourth and everyone wanted gas for the climb.

At the final climb, it was a few skinny juniors, myself and Levi (Cal Bike). I knew Levi and I had the best sprints. I had actually planned on attacking the climb on a steeper ramp, but started getting some proto-cramps which is weird b/c I'm in shape and was feeling great. Like my legs wanted to go hard. But I didn't. A minute or two later some junior put in a moderate attack and it dropped Levi, leaving me and two juniors. At this point with ~1.5 miles to go I knew I had it. At some point I found myself on the front with 1 km to go when it flattens out, and I just started coasting. I told the kids if Levi got back to us he would smoke us. But it didn't work and they stayed behind. We were probably going like 6 MPH with 200 m left when one of the juniors launched his sprint. It was easy for me to grab his wheel, squeeze the legs for a few pumps and come flying around for 4th at that point. At a lean 145 lbs I was large and muscular compared to these kids.

Takeaway:

I had a fun time racing SLR and was really glad I showed up. I wanted more out of the race and was a bit frustrated half-way through, but by the end I was content at having had a fun time out on the road after an interesting ride. Plus I got a few points (3!). This puts me at 28 out of 30 upgrade points for Cat 2, so every bit counts at this point. I'll take it!!!

this 5 deep podium is like half the race...

Last edited by TMonk; 04-21-19 at 11:26 AM.